Like any significant investment, you must make an effort to care for the gems and jewels in your collection. Jewelry requires cleaning and care on a regular basis to ensure that it sparkles and shines long after you pass it on to your children and grandchildren.
To ensure that your jewelry has a long and sparkling life, consider these care recommendations:
- Always store your jewelry in a jewelry box or trunk when it is not being worn. This will protect it from dust and other particles that will diminish its appearance. When storing jewelry, also remember to refrain from stacking items on top of one another. Pieces with stones may scratch soft metal items.
- Most jewelry can be cleaned simply with water or mild dish soap. After cleaning, dry your pieces with a lint-free cloth.
- Do not expose your jewelry to extremely hot temperatures, dry conditions or sudden changes in temperature, as many stones (emeralds, opals and pearls, for example) can be damaged by these conditions.
- Do not wear jewelry while exercising or playing sports, as it can break on impact.
Specific Care Recommendations
- To maintain a diamond’s brilliance, soak it regularly in a solution of half ammonia and half cold water for 30 minutes. Then dry it with a lint-free cloth. Or place a diamond in a glass of plain vodka to restore its sparkle.
- Make sure diamond rings are inspected semi-annually to ensure that stone settings are in a place.
- Many durable metals (tungsten, for example) require minimal care, yet others (like platinum) are more susceptible to scratching. Get a platinum band buffed every six months to remove scratches.
- Remove excess dirt build-up on metals with a jewelry cleaner or mild soap and water.
- To help silver retain its shine, polish it regularly with store-bought silver polish.
- Remove gold jewelry before showering or using household cleaners, as soap film builds easily on gold surfaces.
- To clean gold, place it in a solution of a few drops of ammonia, mild detergent and warm water.
- To remove body oil and grease from gold jewelry, use rubbing alcohol.
COLOR STONE CARE:
- Avoid exposing emerald to hot water or soap water for a long period of time.
- Do not engage in vigorous activity while wearing tanzanite, as it is very brittle.
- Clean opal with baby oil or olive oil to prevent it from drying out.
Because we understand what you are worth, we are here to help make sure that full financial recovery takes place whatever happens. Get a complimentary policy review or call us now at 855-888-8070.